AIA Gateway Commitment
AIA South Carolina signed AIA National's Gateway Commitment, a statement which outlines a plan to significantly improve the representation and management of diversity in architecture education and practice.
A plenary meeting was held convening a broad spectrum of constituents that generated a set of principles for the AIA's diversity initiatives going forward. In the shadow of St. Louis's gateway arch, the participants crafted the Gateway Commitment.
The Commitment envisions a continuing conversation to articulate a specific action agenda concerning:
- Using our member's expertise to expand our diversity with creative career mentoring opportunities from kindergarten to retirement
- Learning from other colleagues and related organizations that have successfully addressed diversity issues
- Focusing on a series of coordinated action items and ideas to promote diversity, with comprehensive oversight
- Asking our membership to initiate conversations and actions in their local communities
- Sharing and celebrating best practices in promoting diversity
- Employ the appropriate resources to implement these initiatives
Our purpose in setting forth this commitment is to develop a profession that reflects the diversity of the communities, users, and the clients we serve.
Learn more about the Gateway Commitment, including the 2009-2013 AIA Diversity Action Plan